This blog is to capture my journey in owning one of the rarest cars in Singapore - Honda Del Sol.


Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Start of Restoration - Fixing Autoroof

The first thing on my mind after taking over the car was to restore the auto-roof. The biggest problem was WHO can fix this rare car? Again, I turn to my trusted powerful tool - Internet. Reading through the SHC forum, I managed to find out that there was someone who can fix the roof but there was no mention who and where the person was. Sent an sms to Mr L and Mr T to see whether they knew this mechanic. Also, send IM to these SHC forumers - Mr Penguin, Mr D-SOL and Mr IcecoolT. As expected, these kind souls started refering fellow forumers like Mr Bugiskid and all leads went to this one guy - Sam from AMK Autopoint. Mr Bugiskid was able to give me his contact and on 30 Apr, I drove down to look for him.

Sam came across a quiet guy. When he saw my car, he did not know what car it was! I told him that it was a CRX del sol and he looked surprised! Went over to the car and nodded. He pressed the autoroof button and as expected, nothing happen. Told me got to leave the car there for 3 to 4 days for him to fix. As the next day was Labour Day holiday , he suggested me to come on the following Monday. On Monday (4 May), I sent the car to the workshop, hoping that the roof can be fixed and not knowing what the costs would be.

Three days passed and I was getting anxious on the progress. Something about Sam. He is a very dedicated mechanic who takes a lot of pride in the cars he work on. Only problem is that he don't really like to update you on the progress, even if delay is expected. I sms-ed him after the third day and he called to tell me he needed more time. After 2 more days, still no news from him. On Friday night, as I was playing mahjong near AMK, decided to pop by the workshop to see see look look. The workshop was closed and I went to the carpark where I left my car. Took a peep into the car and wah sei, i knew a lot of work was being done. Basically, the whole interior was dismantled! Sam must to sorting out all the complicated wiring! Knowing that he is doing his best to fix the roof, I can only hope for the best.

The following week, still no news from Sam. On Thursday (14 May), i went down during my lunchbreak. Sam told me that he has changed many of the autoroof parts but could not figure out the wiring. The autoroof ECU is blinking fault 4 and he has been checking the Internet but could not find the required information. I vaguely remembered there was this guy who got the service manual but after contacting him, he was out of town. Sam told me he will try to check with Kah motors. That very night, I started surfing the Internet but as a trusted friend who never fails me, I found the service manual! The next day, I printed the manual (which has the troubleshooting guide) and delivered it to Sam, who was very surprised that I found it when he tried for a few days! I told him the trick was that ang moh refers to the del sol autoroof as "Transtop". So searching for Transtop will get more resources ;)

The following week on Wednesday, Sam called me and told me the good news. The roof has been fixed! I held my breath for the next piece of news, the cost. Sam told me the costs was $XXXX but gave me a discount for giving him the manual (hopefully will never need to help other del sol bros out there). Still pricey but my joy was priceless!

Collected the car on 21 May Thursday, almost three weeks later. Sam taught me on the sequence of the autoroof and after paying him, I drove off a very happy man!

2 comments:

  1. Bro, great efforts in restoring the transtop. Would appreciate if you can share contact & price. Txs. compaqpresario800@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leather repairs Surrey offer a mobile leather repair, Car seat repairs Surrey and renovation service to your leather car interior. Leather car interior repairs in Surrey area.

    ReplyDelete

Followers